Mmm…I want some soup just looking at that picture. I’ve never ordered Tortilla Soup in a restaurant, because I never knew what was in it! Then I gave Stephanie‘s Crockpot Tortilla Soup a try, and tweaked it a little for my family (this is a less-spicy version so my kids will eat it). Now our Slow Cooker Tortilla Soup is one of our favorites, and it’s in the rotation. Nice and warm (and healthy) for cold winter days…
- 1 1/2 cups cooked chicken
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 cup chopped celery and carrots (optional)
- 2 cans Ro-Tel tomatoes with green chiles (in lieu of cayenne)
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp cumin
- salt to taste
- 3 cups chicken broth (homemade or not)
- for garnish: sour cream, shredded cheese, tortilla chips/strips
- Easy recipes are my favorite--dump everything in the slow cooker, give it a good stir, and cook on high for 6 hours or low for 8-10. It tastes even better the next day, if we have leftovers. I serve it with some cornbread on the side.
I’ve made this Slow Cooker Tortilla Soup twice now doing a two-step process that takes 2 days (or one long day). I buy the .98./lb chicken thighs (bone-in), and cook them in the crockpot with a little onion, carrots, celery, and 6 cups of water. I let that cook for 8 hours on low, and that gives me homemade chicken broth plus a bunch of cooked meat. It takes only 2 thighs to get 1 cup of cooked chicken. Then I freeze the cooked shredded chicken and use it for quesadillas, salads, or soups.
For more easy & family-friendly slow cooker recipes,
follow my Slow Cooker & Crockpot board on Pinterest.
This Slow Cooker Tortilla Soup recipe is linked up to MomTrends Recipe Swap, At the Well’s Tempt my Tummy Tuesday, All the Small Stuff’s Tuesdays at the Table, Gluten-Free Homemaker’s GF Wednesdays, and Beauty & Bedlam’s Tasty Tuesdays.