Do you rip recipes out of magazines, with the intention of trying them someday? I do it all the time, and a few times a year I review the pile and decide to just DO IT. This Spinach Rice Cakes recipe sounded great because we all love spinach and I often have leftover rice around, so it was easy to pull together. I just used pre-cooked brown rice in place of those steps in the original recipe.
- 2 tsp oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 package (10 oz) frozen leaf spinach, thawed and coarsely cut
- 3 cups cooked brown rice
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 cups marinara sauce (for dipping)
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over high heat; saute the onion and garlic for 2 minutes. Add the spinach and remove from heat.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Line a large baking sheet with nonstick foil. In a large bowl, combine vegetable mixture with rice, Parmesan and pepper. Mix in egg.
- For each cake, scoop and flatten 1/4 cup rice mixture onto baking sheet. Bake 20 minutes until firm. Sprinkle tops with mozzarella, and return to oven for 1 minute to melt. Serve with warmed marinara.
Spinach Rice Cakes is linked up to It’s a Keeper at Everyday Tastes, These Chicks Cooked at This Chick Cooks, Gluten-Free Wednesdays at Gluten-Free Homemaker, Tasty Tuesday at Balancing Beauty & Bedlam, CraftOManiac Monday at Craft-O-Maniac, Recipe Swap Sundays at Remodelaholic, Feasting in Fellowship Friday at Comfy in the Kitchen, Foodie Friday at Designs by Gollum, Friday Favorites at Simply Sweet Home, and Friday Food at MomTrends.