I’ve avoided making casseroles ever since I went gluten-free. I didn’t want to have to make homemade cream-of-whatever soup to replace the canned variety, since that seemed to take a lot of the convenience out of it. It is nice, though, to just make a big casserole and have lots of food for everyone, especially my children who seem to be on their umpteenth growing spurt. They loved this dish, and we actually had a tiny bit of leftovers.
This gluten-free broccoli rice casserole can easily be made as a vegetarian meal, but I added cooked chicken to make it even heartier. Since I often have leftover chicken and rice in the fridge, this was quick to pull together and get into the oven for dinner.
- 3 cups cooked brown rice (I cooked mine in chicken broth for extra flavor)
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 16oz bag frozen broccoli cut, defrosted (I just zapped mine in the microwave at 1/2 power)
- 4oz low-fat cream cheese
- 1 cup water
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup cooked chicken, diced (optional)
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a 9x12 baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Saute the celery and onion for about 7 minutes or until onions are translucent.
- Add the broccoli and stir to combine, cooking until broccoli is tender.
- Add the cream cheese and water to the skillet, breaking up the cream cheese and stirring to make a creamy gravy that coats the vegetables.
- Stir in cooked chicken and season with salt and pepper.
- Add the rice and basil; toss to mix.
- Transfer to the casserole dish and sprinkle top with Parmesan cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
For more easy, family-friendly casserole recipes,
follow my Capitivating Casseroles board on Pinterest.
This Broccoli Rice Casserole recipe is linked up to Gluten-Free Wednesdays at Gluten-Free Homemaker, Slightly Indulgent Tuesday at Simply Sugar & Gluten Free, Whole Food Wednesday at Beyond the Peel, Friday Food at MomTrends and Tasty Tuesday at Balancing Beauty & Bedlam.