It’s been a whirlwind summer, thanks to Swim Team. Two of my three kids swam on the team, and I ran concessions. It’s all we’ve done for weeks! Tomorrow we’re hosting a Division-wide final meet, which runs all day, then having our End of the Year Party. It will be a long, hot day, and I’m excited to relax with my family after many weeks of hard work.
One of our biggest sellers at concessions is the Traveling Taco. While not healthy by any stretch (I often tease the adults saying “one per season is enough!”), it’s an easy way to feed a crowd. If you have an opportunity to feed a lot of teens–maybe a family reunion or party–they’ll love this.
photo courtesy of Scott Ripley
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 package taco seasoning (or make your own)
- 3 Tbsp water
- 6 individual sized bags of Doritos or Fritos chips
- shredded lettuce
- shredded cheese
- sour cream
- Brown and drain the ground beef, then add taco seasoning and water. Heat through.
- Gently crush the chips in each bag, then open each bag.
- Scoop the taco meat into the bag and top with favorite toppings. We use lettuce, cheese and sour cream, but if I was making this at home I’d include black beans and tomatoes for a little more nutrition.
- Add a fork to the bag and serve. You can make this gluten-free by using Fritos instead of Doritos and ensuring that the taco seasoning is GF (we use McCormick).