I want to bake holiday cookies with my kids, but I prefer to keep things simple and less-stressed for all of us. These Simple Holiday Snickerdoodles are easy to make and taste great dipped in milk or hot chocolate.
If you’re not familiar with them, traditional Snickerdoodles are yummy cookies rolled in a cinnamon sugar mixture. For the holidays, I moved the cinnamon to the batter so we could roll in colored sugar instead. My girls enjoyed making red and green sugar–just add a few drops of food coloring to a half cup of white sugar and stir well.
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 sugar
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp cream of tartar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Sugar mixture: Mix 1/2 cup white sugar with several drops of food coloring
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Combine all the ingredients in a large bowl. Beat at low speed, scraping bowl often, until well mixed.
- Let chill for 30 minutes.
- Roll dough into balls about 1.5 inches wide. Roll in colored sugar and place on ungreased cookie sheets.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until edges are lightly browned.