Get sales tax savings on items like:
- Bottled Water, both single and multi-packs
- Cell Phone Batteries and Chargers
- Coolers and Ice Chests
- Duct Tape
- Empty Gasoline or Propane Tanks under $60
- Fire Extinguishers
- First Aid Kits
- Flashlights, Lanterns and Candles
- Plastic Storage Bags (like Ziploc)
- Smoke Detectors
Virginia’s sales tax holiday runs all week, May 25-31st, while Louisiana’s tax holiday is next weekend, May 30th-31st.
It’s a good idea to have some emergency supplies on hand, no matter where you live, even if they’re not specifically for hurricane preparedness. FEMA’s list of basic emergency kit supplies is a great place to start. I also like this Disaster Checklist for Parents.
If you like to bulk cook like I do, it also helps to know how to prepare your freezer for a power outage.