I know I’m not the only one out there who purchased a Deep Covered Baker from a Pampered Chef party with the idea of making lots of quick microwave meals. And I’m probably not the only one who then let this expensive wonder sit in the cabinet for months and months because you weren’t sure what meals to make. I’ve made Chicken Fajitas in the DCB for a few years now, but most of the recipes in the Pampered Chef cookbook are just not my thing–too many ingredients, or foods my kids won’t eat.
That’s why I set a goal for myself in 2014 to get a repertoire of 10 DCB (deep covered baker) microwave meals in my recipe book. And that’s why you’ll see the occasional DCB recipe, like last month’s Chicken Tomato Pasta, on the blog. This Macaroni & Cheese in the Deep Covered Baker has been thoroughly enjoyed by my family the five times I’ve made it, testing out the cooking time and making sure it was delish enough to share with you.
- 2 cups elbow macaroni (half of a regular box)
- I can or 14 oz chicken broth (I use low sodium)
- 2 cups Half & Half
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 10oz chopped broccoli, cooked and drained
- Add the macaroni, broth, Half & Half, garlic powder and mustard to the deep covered baker.
- Stir to combine, then cover with the lid.
- Microwave on high for 16 minutes. Remove lid and stir. Pasta will not be completely cooked (it will complete in the next step).
- Add shredded cheese and stir. Place lid back on baker and let sit for 10 minutes.
- If adding broccoli, add at this time.
Since you’re cooking in a microwave, and all microwaves vary, you may need to tweak the recipe a bit by cooking a little longer to make sure your pasta is done. This also needs to be done if you use a whole wheat pasta (which needs more cooking time than traditional). Just add a few minutes at step 3 after you stir, if you feel you need the pasta to be softer.
If you don’t own a Deep Covered Baker or prefer a more traditional Macaroni & Cheese recipe with a sauce you make on the stovetop, try “Real” Macaroni and Cheese. We also love this Baked Mac & Cheese Casserole, which you can make with gluten-free pasta or regular. Clearly, we’re big fans of Mac & Cheese however we can get it.
Find more microwave DCB recipes on my Deep Covered Baker Recipes Pinterest Board.