Making your own versions of processed foods isn’t just a way to save money, it also helps you control ingredients. Whether you’re eating low sodium, gluten-free or just want to avoid the chemicals and preservatives found in the packets, take a few minutes to mix up a batch of Homemade Taco Seasoning, and you’ll have it on hand for your next taco night. It tastes a lot better, too! Here’s my go-to recipe and 25 great ways to use it.
- 2 Tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 3 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- Mix all spices together. Store in an airtight container.
- For standard ground beef/turkey tacos: After you brown the meat, drain the fat, and replace the seasoning packet with 2+ Tbsp of this homemade taco seasoning (depending on how strong you like the flavor) and 1/3 cup of water. Stir and simmer until thickened.
- For slow cooker tacos (chicken or pork): Sprinkle 2-3 pounds of chicken breasts/thighs or pork roast with 4-5 Tbsp of homemade taco seasoning. You can also add a jar of salsa or a cup of chicken broth for extra moisture. Cook on low 6-10 hours, then shred.
This recipe makes almost 5 Tbsp of seasoning, which is enough for 2-3 batches of ground beef tacos (a packet is typically 2 Tbsp) or one batch in the slow cooker. I usually scale this up by doubling or tripling it so I don’t have to make it as often (we do Taco Tuesday every week!). There are lots of other ways to use it:
Appetizers and Snacks
Taco Snack Mix from Shugary Sweets
Easy Taco Dip from Julie’s Eats and Treats
Taco Pizza Rolls from The Girl Who Ate Everything
Mexican Roasted Chickpeas from Hungry Food Love
Cheesy Taco Popcorn from Three Different Directions
Light & Creamy Taco Salad Dressing from Lady Behind the Curtain
Fiesta Pork Chop and Rice Bake from Six Sisters’ Stuff
Taco Stuffed Peppers from Everyday Made Fresh
Taco Cornbread Casserole from MoneywiseMoms (figure out amount to sub)
Southwestern Chicken Taco Casserole from Pint-sized Treasures
Lawnmower Taco from Life as Mom
Soups and Chilis
Creamy Black Bean Chicken Soup from Pass the Fresh
8 Can Taco Soup from High Heels & Grills
Crockpot Taco Chili from First Home Love Life
Taco Stew from Oh Sweet Basil
Crockpot Chicken Taco Chili from Table for Two
Tacos & More
Baja Tilapia Fish Tacos from Redomestication
Traveling Tacos from MoneywiseMoms
Mexican Meatloaf from Pepper Scraps
Tex-Mex Taco Pasta from Catz in the Kitchen
One Pan Enchilada Bake from Damn Delicious
Chicken Fajitas in the Deep Covered Baker from MoneywiseMoms
Easy Spanish Rice from Grandma Bee’s Recipes
Homemade Taco Seasoning (and 25 ways to use it) is linked up to Real Food Recipe Roundup at JoLynne Shane.