Cool spring days are perfect for baking up a special afterschool treat for my kiddos. I like to add fruit and fiber to their snacks, so these Whole Wheat Blueberry Muffins are a perfect fit, with honey, cinnamon and whole wheat flour. They’re hearty with just a touch of crispy sweetness on the top because of the cinnamon sugar sprinkle topping. Yum!
- 2 Tbsp packed brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp + 1 tsp ground cinnamon (separated)
- 3/4 cup skim milk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 egg
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 Tbsp ground flax seed (optional)
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup frozen blueberries, do not thaw
- Heat oven to 400°F. Spray 12 regular-size muffin cups with cooking spray, or place paper baking cup in each muffin cup.
- In small bowl, mix brown sugar and 1/4 tsp cinnamon; set aside.
- In large bowl, beat milk, oil, honey and egg with spoon. Stir in flours, baking powder, 1 tsp cinnamon and salt just until flours are moistened (batter will be lumpy).
- Gently fold in blueberries.
- Divide batter evenly among muffin cups (cups will be full). Sprinkle with brown sugar mixture.
- Bake about 20 minutes or until golden brown. Immediately remove from pan.
For even more fiber, add a tablespoon of ground flax seed to the batter. These didn’t last long at my house as afterschool snacks! Looking for more snack and lunchbox ideas? Follow my Back to School & Lunch Packing board on Pinterest.
This Whole Wheat Blueberry Muffins recipe is shared at Real Food Recipe Roundup at Sassy Moms in the City, Fluster’s Creative Muster at Fluster Buster, Pinterest Foodie at Real the Kitchen and Beyond, How To Tuesdays at Bombshell Wife Life and Manic Monday Linky Party at Serendipity and Spice.