Pizza is one of every family’s standby meals, so why not change it up with these Sausage Pesto Pita Pizzas? Over the years, we’ve learned not to order but to make our own pizza–not only to save money but because we can add the ingredients we want and make it healthier. While I often make my own whole wheat crust using the bread machine, on busy nights it’s just easier to give each child a whole wheat pita bread for their crust. I still haven’t tried any gluten-free pizza crust mixes. I just used a piece of Udi’s GF bread as my crust, and it came out nice and crisp. Delicious!
- Whole Wheat Pita Bread
- Basil Pesto (I use jarred, but you can make your own)
- Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- Mushrooms (or other veggies you like)
- Chicken Italian Sausage, cooked and crumbled (I used leftovers from another meal)
- Heat over to 450 degrees.
- Assemble pizzas by spreading pesto on pita breads and topping with shredded cheese.
- Cover with toppings and cook for 8-10 minutes, until cheese is melted and crust is crisp. Alternately, you can grill them!
This started out as a clear-the-fridge leftovers night, but turned into a nice combination of flavors! Instead of my kids having the same toppings every time, it’s a great opportunity to teach them to expand their palates–the pesto and sausage are spicier than their typical fare.
This Sausage Pesto Pita Pizzas recipe is linked up to Tasty Tuesdays at Balancing Beauty & Bedlam, Recipe Swap Sundays at Remodelaholic, Tasty Traditions at Coupon Cookin’, Foodie Friday at Designs by Gollum, Friday Favorites at Simply Sweet Home, Feasting in Fellowship Friday at Comfy in the Kitchen, It’s a Keeper’s Thursday Recipe Linky, Friday Food at MomTrends.