Do you rip recipes out of magazines, with the intention of trying them someday? I do it all the time, and a few times a year I review the pile and decide to just DO IT. This Spinach Rice Cakes recipe sounded great because we all love spinach and I often have leftover rice around, so it was easy to pull together. I just used pre-cooked brown rice in place of those steps in the original recipe.
- 2 tsp oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 package (10 oz) frozen leaf spinach, thawed and coarsely cut
- 3 cups cooked brown rice
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 cups marinara sauce (for dipping)
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over high heat; saute the onion and garlic for 2 minutes. Add the spinach and remove from heat.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Line a large baking sheet with nonstick foil. In a large bowl, combine vegetable mixture with rice, Parmesan and pepper. Mix in egg.
- For each cake, scoop and flatten 1/4 cup rice mixture onto baking sheet. Bake 20 minutes until firm. Sprinkle tops with mozzarella, and return to oven for 1 minute to melt. Serve with warmed marinara.
Spinach Rice Cakes is linked up to It’s a Keeper at Everyday Tastes, These Chicks Cooked at This Chick Cooks, Gluten-Free Wednesdays at Gluten-Free Homemaker, Tasty Tuesday at Balancing Beauty & Bedlam, CraftOManiac Monday at Craft-O-Maniac, Recipe Swap Sundays at Remodelaholic, Feasting in Fellowship Friday at Comfy in the Kitchen, Friday Favorites at Simply Sweet Home, and Friday Food at MomTrends.